Friday, May 10, 2013

The Lottery Challenge


I can still remember. Thinking back I knew how important that day was going to be. It would be a life or death chance that would depend on a ball rolling around in a big drum and a man pulling it and saying the number out loud. It was the 1972 Draft Lottery…the day that would decide if I was going to go to war or not.

I did my duty and, a month before my 18th birthday; I went and signed up for the draft. I had to. My dad drove me down to the office himself, walked me in and stood there until I filled out the paperwork. Heck, after that was done he took me down to eat a hamburger at Mc Donald’s and then to the Marine Recruiting Office. They were happy that a “legacy” was signing up. I told them that I had head lice, and with my hair it was entirely likely, and they told me to come back at a later date. Anyway, a few days later I got my draft card…my lottery ticket with the prize…a trip to Vietnam

Now, it was not as if I hadn’t been lucky with lotteries earlier. I was. I had won the Ohio Daily Number twice that week…strangely enough with the same number…187. True it only paid me $80 but hey, money is money!

Anyway, I was at home. My dad was with me. He was a Marine back in WWII and he was hoping that I would get a low number so that I would have to go in and serve my country. My long hair, bell bottomed pants and love beads told him different but he still had hopes…silly old man.

There were 365 balls in a big slowly turning drum. It was funny. They, the United States Draft Board, made it look like it was any other lottery drawing. Hell, they even had a Vanna White looking girl taking the balls and putting them on a big board. Maybe it was more like Bingo but it reminded me of a game.

I knew one thing. If I, my birthday, could make it past number 185 I would be safe and the fear of being drafted would be over!

They started drawing. The first date they chose was November 17th. It went up on the board and I sighed a sigh of relief. They were probably going to get their draft notices the next day. At least I had a waiting period of a few days if my number was drawing.

The lottery went on for hours without “Vanna” hauling my date across the stage.  Oh, I forgot to tell you…my birthday was October 22, 1954. Finally, I remember it was just about 9:00 PM and the lottery had been going on for about three hours when number 185 came up. The guy read the date …Oct…to…ber…twenty…third.

I broke down in tears. Vietnam would have to do without me…unless I decided to go which I had no intention of doing.

How did this story end you must be asking. Well, a couple years later I went into the Coast Guard. I was stationed at a base in Washington State where I met my wife Erika. We married had two kids and we still live, just outside that Coast Guard base.
One thing though…after winning the lottery three times in one week I never, ever played the lottery again. After all, hitting the Powerball could not even come close to the thrill lotteries gave me in that seven day so many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment